Walking with the Duchess

"'Be what you would seem to be' -- or if you'd like it put more simply -- 'Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.'" - The Duchess, "Alice in Wonderland"

5.02.2005

I think I dropped my hammer . . .

Creative Ministry by Henri Nouwen
Chapter 1: “Teaching”

“In fields like medicine, sociology, psychology, chemistry, biology, economics, and even theology, there is an amazing preoccupation with manipulative devices and the degree to which they satisfy immediate needs, relate to urgent problems, and keep an acceptable balance in the style of our lives. ‘Getting things under control’ is what keeps most teachers and students busy, and a successful teacher is often the individual who creates the conviction that man has the necessary tools to tame the dangerous lion he is going to face as soon as he leaves the training field” (5).

I’m facilitating a workshop this summer for our annual area denominational sessions. How did an introvert such as myself fall into such an uncomfortable role? At our mid-year sessions I got into a discussion with fellow Board of Evangelism members on the topic of young adults: why are there so few in our yearly meeting? Where are they at? Our middle and high school programs seem to thrive, but once graduation comes, there seems to be a big, black hole. Some feel that we’ve thrown lifelines; others feel we’ve cut lifelines - what does the picture look like now, and where could we head from here?

I don’t know how to lead this discussion. I don’t have the answers. And perhaps that’s the best way to start. When my mind begins to sort through information, experiences, hypotheses, and other tid bits I’ve collected along the way, I assume that they will fall nicely into place and paint a beautiful, grand, Big Picture with The Answer. But as my fathe’r’s told me, “Figure out where the young folks are going, write a book, and you’ll be set for life.”

My initial inclination is to be a teacher that has everything “under control”. I want immediate answers. I want folks to leave feeling encouraged and strengthened rather than discouraged and questioning.

How silly is that?!!? Hello: am I leaving any room for the Spirit to work? That’s a bit daunting - creating room for a Being that can’t be weighed, measured, or controlled to move, encourage, strengthen, plant seeds, bring to fruition.

Perhaps I should be happy, thankful, leap with joy if folks leave the workshop:
– uncomfortable. . . with the status quo
– with more questions than answers . . . that will pick at them to keep seeking
– discouraged . . . and turning to the Spirit for direction

I keep feeling like things need to change in the Yearly Meeting, or else it will die. But could the greater question be: has God blessed the Yearly Meeting to remain in existence? Is He desiring for this group of Quaker gatherers to take a different shape? I don’t have all the answers or the tools or the means to control: but I do have listening ears, a willing Spirit, and a desire to follow.

|